18. Large Elector's Estate
Rebuilt in 1787
Estate of the Archbishops of Trier.
First mentioned as a "Hofgut" in 1103.
The cross on the yard gate
dates back to 1651.
The archbishop's estate is first mentioned in 1103. Together with the abbey it was the starting point for the development of the settlement toward a city. We have messages about the leasing of the estate and income and services that were due to the archbishop - as the landlord - from the end of the 16th century. The present-day estate was rebuilt in 1787 under the auspices of the last elector and archbishop Clemens Wenzeslaus von Sachsen (1768-1801), after a fire. The cross immured into the manor gate is reminiscent of the leaseholder Peter Sevenig, who had it erected in 1651.